Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The drive-thru dilemma

Last night we were out doing some errands before dinner and it took longer than we had planned. I had planned to make some chicken with whole wheat fettuccine and light alfredo sauce and broccoli and carrots for dinner. It was a great plan. However, as we were out, everyone was getting hungry (and Emily was being really whiny) and getting tired.

My hubby, Matt, suggested we just stop and get something for dinner on the way home so that we could just put Emily to bed sooner. If we would have gone home, made the dinner, and ate it, it would have taken 3 times as long as just stopping to get food on the way home. It was already past Emily's bedtime and she was tired, and we were all hungry, and I was frustrated and stressed so I gave in and we went to the nearest drive-thru and got some food.

Now, I have two dilemmas here.

1. What to do when you're on the go and need a quick meal. This is a problem for me because I get stressed taking 2 small children anywhere, and I get frustrated when they misbehave or it takes longer than planned. So then I don't want to cook. And I end up grabbing something on the way home.

2. What to do when your spouse wants to go out to eat. Matt loves to go out to eat. Before we got married, he actually ate out for every meal. When I'm already tired and frustrated, it's hard for me to resist his suggestions of just going to get some food. (And let's face it, I would rather go out than have to cook and clean up anyway.)

I don't think it's bad to eat out, I just want to do it less and have it be more of a planned occasion rather than a last-minute thing.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can overcome either of these dilemmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment