Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

13 for Dean

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I ran the American Fork Canyon 1/2 Marathon last weekend. I was NOT planning on doing this. I was not ready for a 1/2 marathon...I really had only done one long run of 8.5 miles. But a couple of weeks ago, I had the crazy idea that I was going to do it anyway.

I mean really, what was the worst that could happen? I run 8 miles and walk the rest? No big deal. So I switched my registration from the 5K to the 1/2. Some of my family members and friends were all doing various distances and we decided to wear our IronDean shirts in honor of Dean. (By the way, he won and is going to Kona!)

I actually felt really good for most of the race, and I was really happy with my results. Mile 8 was a little difficult, but then I got a 2nd wind until about Mile 12. Mile 12 was HARD! But I kept going, and at Mile 13, I saw a sign that said, "Mile 13 is for Iron Dean!" That was just what I needed to get me to the finish line!

This was my 5th half marathon, and according to my Garmin (which I am loving, by the way) my stats were:

(sorry for the blurry pic...)

Distance: 13.19 Miles
Time: 2:35:58
Moving Time: 2:27:43 (I may have had 2 potty breaks...)
Avg. Pace: 11:49 min/mi
Avg. Moving Pace: 11:12 min/mi
Avg. Heart Rate: 155
Calories burned: 1407








It was a really nice course and they had Kneader's french toast at the finish line...best post-race food EVER! They had motivating signs all throughout the course, and it really was a beautiful course. I really liked it and I'm glad I had that crazy moment and decided to just do it!


But I have to admit that even though I FELT good doing the race, when I saw the pictures of myself running, I was really discouraged. I feel like I look like I'm just shuffling along like a big ole lug.

Yes, I WAS running here...
I definitely need to get it in gear again and lose the rest of this weight so I can look at pictures and be happy with them. Ever since this competition ended, I have been struggling to stay on track. I really need to find some new motivation. But I also need to be proud of the fact that I finished a HALF MARATHON and felt good enough to run 13 miles without feeling like I was going to die (because I really did feel good about my race that day).

No comments:

Post a Comment