Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Meal planning for 2 weeks


I hate grocery shopping. I also hate spending money on groceries. I've been trying to save money on groceries and I was reading that the fewer times you go to the store, the less money you spend. So I decided to cut my shopping trips in half. I only go grocery shopping every other week.

Here's a few things I've learned in the process...

1. You HAVE to have a meal plan for 2 weeks. Otherwise you will not get enough stuff to last that long. I made this simple sheet that helps me. I plan each dinner, but only plan general lunches and snacks that can be had on any given day. I always make sure to have cereal, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, and bread on hand for breakfast stuff.






2. I have to go by myself. It takes about an hour and I cannot do it with children in tow.

3. I use Bountiful Baskets to get most of my produce. It lasts 2 weeks.

4. I have almost always been able to get milk that doesn't have an expiration date before the 2 weeks is up. If I can't, I will go back to the store to get milk only.

5. I try to stock up on things when they're on sale, especially meat, so that I'll have it on hand when I need it.

6. Eat the stuff that will go bad sooner first. Apples and oranges and stuff will last...eat the ripe peaches and stuff like that the first week.

7. Someone recommended Zaycon foods for bulk meat buying. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to for chicken at least.

8. I've been trying to price match at Walmart too so I can get everything in one stop.

I have liked only having to go shopping every other week! I'm still trying to cut down on my spending, so I would love to hear anyone else's tips on cutting down on grocery shopping and saving money!

No comments:

Post a Comment